Saturday, November 5, 2016

Do You Esteem Others Better Than Yourself?


“Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” The verse means that we should not try to impress others; we should always put others first. In My school, there is a sign that reads, “How do you behave when no one is looking?” There are many people who are very selfish and will do things only when they know that someone is there. I read a news article about Melania Trump saying that we are becoming meaner to each other, and people got on her about her husband. People should make an introspection rather than transfer their aggression. Ask yourself: how am I treating other people? “Am I treating them as if they are better than me, or am I treating them as if I am better than them?’
If you go to Christian websites, you will see people who are calling others some horrible names with fake names. Perhaps it explains why our children are leaving the faith. This year alone, I know three kids who started the class as God's worshipers only to tell me that they have each stopped going because people are two-faced. Those same people will not speak like that if they thought that someone knew them. Clear examples are the people who have been busted during basketball games flipping single or double birds to players. Once their pictures appear on national TV, they apologize. They are not apologizing because they feel bad; they are doing it because they have been exposed and the cloak of holy person has been disrobed. The question I must ask again is “How do you live your life when no one is looking?”
Sometimes I go into our male restroom and see papers that have been thrown on the ground, and I pick and throw them into the bin. The truth about it is that those men who have thrown those papers on the floor will not leave them there if they knew that someone was looking at them because human beings are too selfish, and they like to impress others. A humble person does not need you to see him when he is doing good works.
If what Melania said makes sense, then we should pause and consider, rather than deflect it to her husband. Her husband is another entity. Each time I attend a school football game, I will see at least 20 kids who will tell me how much I meant to them and how much my stories lifted up their spirits. About two weeks ago as I stood at the entrance, two ladies in their turns came to tell me thank you for making them feel very good about themselves. It was just for the few good words I said to them, “Hello Boss lady, happy to see you today!” She is not my boss and I don’t even know her. However, showing her that attention with those good works, acknowledges her presence. 
A few years back I visited a friend in Florida. We went to the store with her, the husband and another friend who was visiting. I saw a gentleman, and I greeted him, “Hey boss, how you are doing?”  The man was startled. He looked over his shoulders, not sure if I was talking to him. I said, “Yes, boss, how are you doing?” He said "fine." During this time, my three friends who were all blacks have moved away quickly. They have always told me not to call people boss because I make them feel too important. Meanwhile, that is what the bible says though. The man then began to tell me that I did not know what I just did to him. He has been dreaming if he will ever be called a boss because he did into have much education. To hear me call him boss, motivates him to strive to that position.
Folks, I lose nothing calling anyone boss. You lose nothing treating others as if they are more important than you. I always ask myself, “Lord, if I died today, who will say that I touched their lives? “How do you treat others when no one is looking?" How do yo talk about others when they are not there? How do you help or would you help others if no one was looking? 
Just of recent, I received a phone call in my class. In my usual fashion I said, “Hey boss man, how are you? A black female student asked me who I was talking to. I told her Mr. so and so, who is white by the way. “The little girl went berserk and even stomped out of the classroom because “You make black people look bad before these white folks.” I do the same thing with everybody, no matter their color. The word of God is more important than what we think and feel. It says that esteem others (no matter their color or race) better than you. You have no choice but to respect and practice the word of God. 
Just of recent again I had an evaluator visit my class. She came at the exact time I was talking to a student who had been feeling bad the previous day. When the evaluator entered, she joined us in the conversation, and the student asked me who her case manager was. I said that I was the one. Then she said, “Oh, I thought you were just nice to me because you did not want to make me feel left out amongst your caseload students because you are always too nice to the other kids.” The evaluator interjected quickly, “Oh honey, he is not supposed to show preferential treatment.” What she did not know was that for me, it is not because they are students nor on my caseload; it is because the Bible says, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
My dear friends, middle school suicide is increasing and suicide as a whole has jumped up.[1] Medications are not working, so we should try treating everyone better. That will give many of those who feel left out in this world hope; hope that will help them face tomorrow. Let us not politicize the words of Melania Trump. Let us merely answer the question, “How do you live your life when no one is looking?” Do you hide behind fake names, ghost names to send out mean tweets or write despicable comments to your adversaries or those who think or look different from you? How do you talk about others when they are not present? Do you help people when no one is looking? You have your conscience to listen to, if at all you have one.

Until then, let us esteem each other more than ourselves.  

St Arrey of Ntenako


“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." (I Cor 15:19). "It is not how well you know a person; it is how well you treat them that they will live longer and happier with you." Hamilton Ayuk. Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

"Do you have family here?"

People always ask me each time I meet a new person, “Do you have family here?” Sometimes, when I meet a white person, he or she always...