Sunday, October 25, 2015

Every Black Man Is Not A Criminal!


Racism is taught and learned. Yesterday, I was doing my normal walk, so I took an unpaved path that is beside the river. The path is approximately 6 feet away from the river and then 2 feet non walkable from the unpaved path. There was a white family also walking. They were ahead of me. The kids had branched to cut some oranges overlapping from a yard. When the mother saw me, she began to call the kids aloud, “Get off the road, get off the road!" Remember that they are about 6 feet away. Sadly, the “get off the road!” was for them to come and join her by the corner of the road where she was standing.
Where they were, they were more off the road and safer away from me than they were, even when they moved towards her. The issue was that they were about 12 feet behind and she was in front. Then she mumbled something, and the older kids ran towards her, but her youngest child who could be approximately 5-6 years refused to move. Instead, he walked towards the road closer to where I could even speak to him. I said to him, “Keep up the good job, kid.” Then he screamed, “He didn’t hurt me. He didn’t hurt me. I stood right here.” Hahahahahaha. His other siblings and mom were glass cold. I walked towards them, and I could hear their heartbeats. I repeated the same thing, “Good jobs guys. Keep up the good work.” The mom responded and it brought them some relief as I walked away.
I presumed that the reason the others ran towards their mom was surely because she might have told them that the black man was going to hurt them. That is why their last born stubbornly refused to move and screamed a sound of relief and defiance!  Sometimes kids do crazy things unconsciously. This time he betrayed the mom's prejudice.
I have seen a lot of this type of behavior that I take it as a pleasure to tell my white friends when I meet them for the first time, “I have a fingerprint card, a passport and ID if you want a copy, just so you can sleep peacefully when you are with me.” They always laugh. You see, these same kids do not fear me when I teach them; actually they like and trust me, yet the parents outside seeing me think, “Oh there comes the black man; he is going to hurt my kids. Kids, run, run, run for your dear lives.” Some people don’t know that some of us regard a good name as better than riches. I may be black, but I have morals and dignity than most of them who think that way. Every black man is not going to commit a crime.
On my way back, I took the main road on the street. I am coming towards a home that was beside the road. It seemed the owner was unaware I was coming, and she had just stopped. Seeing me appear, her one leg down and the rest of her body was in the car, so she looked at me walking fast, she quickly pulled back her car door and sat frozen in her car, as if afraid I was going to hurt her. I had to laugh aloud this time. In the first one, I sinfully cursed her in my mind, “Foolish woman!”  Sometimes I don’t understand when a white woman is scared of me if she sees me in an elevator, even in a suit. When you jump in, she shivers. I move around, she clutches her purse harder.
Sometimes when I am walking and a white lady sees me outside walking and coming towards her home, she quickly runs back into the house. I can only laugh. Sometimes I say to myself, “You are more a criminal then me, mam.”
I remember one lady at the airport. I went and sat on one seat away (there was an empty seat between us) on her right while her two daughters sat on her left. After some time, she pulled her bag away towards her feet. Realizing she was afraid, I started to joke with her by fixing my eyes on her bag. After sometime, she picked it up and carried it on herself. I will affix my eyes on the bag and then remove them a little bit. There was a young white boy sitting across, watching the drama unfold. Finally, the woman grabbed her bag and moved to where other white people were sitting. Her two girls remained and then grudgingly moved away with their mom too. The young white boy asked me, “Why is that bitch scared of you? Before you came, there was a white guy sitting there, but she did not remove her bag. How come she did not remove it?” A white girl interjected jokingly, “She probably thought that the nigger wanted to steal her purse.” We all laughed. I was glad that the two young white people realized that her fears were unwarranted, and she was merely stupid.
I had traveled with people who had more money than her, with better bags, off course, but they trusted me. I just don’t understand what some people are afraid off. One thing I must say is that most of the rich people I have worked and dealt with, their women are usually very simple minded. When they know who you are, they trust you more. I usually give them all the opportunities for them to know me and disarm them of the fear. Nonetheless, it is wrong for kids to be taught that some people are more pruned to evil, simply by the color of their skin. We have a lot of hope in this country because these kids are changing. Several times kids have invited me to their homes, and I will say tell your parents and I will come. Everyone should be hopeful because in years to come, racism will be out of place, but for now this is the daily drink the black man in America must drink.

Until then, I am black, but I am not a criminal, my friend!


Hamilton Ayuk

“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." (I Cor 15:19). "It is not how well you know a person; it is how well you treat them that they will live longer and happier with you." Hamilton Ayuk. Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

"Do you have family here?"

People always ask me each time I meet a new person, “Do you have family here?” Sometimes, when I meet a white person, he or she always...