Sunday, November 16, 2014

Suicide: the Modern Trend Amongst Young People

Ciara Webb and Cady Housh

16 year old Ciara Marie Webb killed herself on Friday in her home, and “two days later Cady Housh" followed suite by standing in front of a coming train. Suicide is quickly becoming the new trend amongst people. It is heartbreaking to see young people with so much life kill themselves. However, the frequency and ease should worry us as a society. Speaking out against suicide is not being judgmental. Actually, there is nothing judgmental about speaking out against evil because conscience is partly innate but also nurtured. This shows a lack of trust in both people and God. In this month alone, I have read of at least 10 kids who have committed suicide. Whatever may be the cause of their suicide, it still does not justify it. If they had a good home support, this will not happen. The Empty Nest Syndrome is affecting kids too nowadays because the kids, albeit living with their parents, do not have that connection with them because the parents and adults are running the Rat Race or chasing the American Dream. 

The reason why bringing this story out is important is that it helps to shed light on the bigger picture of things, and it also serves as an alarm bell to parents about the dangers their kids may be facing especially because suicide rates are increasing. Furthermore, by including their names in the newspaper does not violate any HIPAA laws because their names were already published in an obituary, and it has nothing to do with their medical records by a medical institution.

Why would young people with lives ahead of them feel so empty to kill themselves in such horrible manner? The saddest thing is that this emptiness is not only amongst non-Christians as even pastors and their children have committed suicide. I mean, if steel can rust how much more iron? Suicide is a form of evil that is done to hurt those whom the victim thinks have hurt him/her. It is as if saying that, “since you hated me so much, I will leave you with this pain.”

The reason many people are committing suicide these days is because they lack interpersonal and intrapersonal connections. They flatter themselves with social media connections which usually does not truly bring true satisfaction because the human being needs person to person connection. That is why no matter how rich a couple may be, they will feel empty if the other partner is not at home.

It is high time to teach young people to concentrate on their true families and leave those artificial families they create on social media. This society has failed to teach kids that rejection, disappointments and failures are ok. What is not ok is to be satisfied in them, for they should serve as stepping stones unto greater victories. If we can create a society where people could feel comfortable and trustworthy to share their chagrins, the world will be a better place.

I visited a middle school one day, and a student gave me an anonymous letter, adjuring me to only read it when I reached home. I had forgotten entirely until one day when I was emptying my pockets to wash my clothes that I saw the note. Therein she wrote, “Yesterday you said that we should trust and listen to our parents, but I hate my parents because they hate me. If I report it, they will take me away from them, and I don’t want to live elsewhere. I don’t have anyone to talk to because I don’t trust anyone. You are the first person I truly feel like I should trust. Guys only want sex, and the girls gossip you for nothing. I spend most of my time playing with myself in my room.” By sharing her sorrow, she absorbs some healing.
Therefore, it is important to teach kids to share their problems with those they trust. We should teach kids to build long trusting relationships. There is not a single person on this earth who does not have problems. The issue is that the problems are of different natures but one essence. We must teach them that their death will cause a lot of pain to those who know them. They should know that they are valued, accepted and loved. Suicide is digging a bigger hole to fill a smaller one. 
Until then, we must run against the clock or lose the young people and the future. 
St Arrey of Ntenako. 



“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). "It is not how well you know a person; it is how well you treat them that they will live longer and happier with you." Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

The Secrets of Leadership.

The secrets of leadership. You know, most people want to be leaders, but very few are really leaders. Leadership is a very simple phen...