Monday, September 17, 2012

The Hopeless Face of Modern Christianity.



I have been pondering on the things that have been happening, and I am asking myself if Christians are really the salt of the earth and the light of the world. When I gave my life to Christ in 1986, I knew that what you say you are, you are really, and your life was to mimic Christ. Nowadays, despite churches and Christians increasing in numbers, the impact of Christianity is felt lesser and lesser. I still see that women are not free, Christian marriages are failing too like their non Christian counterparts, Christian kids are unruly, and there is no communion in Christendom again and many others. For example, many Christian singles from churches which sit thousands per sessions go to dating sites to look for partners and spouses. If there was communion, they should have been marrying each other. There seems to be no difference between the Christians and their non Christian counterparts. At times, some Christians even act worse than the so called unbelievers.Jesus once said, “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” Mt 15:8-9 
When you look at the so called Mormons whom many evangelicals say are a cult, one would think that they are a perfect organization. Most of their marriages are rock solid, they show real fellowship and communion, and they are less hedonistic as they adorn themselves with fewer pearls. Another case is my friend Patrick in Eugene whom before I had visited, I heard that he was a backslider. To my surprise, he was more a Christian than the many who accused him. Such is the opposite nowadays.
I even remember when I was doing my Ph.D on how Christians who disagreed with me reported me to the Immigration that I was an illegal immigrant. In search of my immigration file, they found that I was sponsoring my mom and her file kept getting lost. I had to refile three times. I still remember the gentleman called Powell who told me that his son was working at the Texas immigration center, so they will not allow my mother to have her papers. They had told me that they were going to report me that I was peddling subversive material, but methought it was just a joke of a debate. Then time and again they called Google which suspended my rights to post articles because they were investigating me. What were the investigations for; for philosophically disagreeing with a fellow pastor?  In one pastoral forum, when we disagreed on polygamy, they called me all sorts of names and several times, they promised reporting me to the authorities. Unlike others, it does not bother me what my brethren believe. I know that I believe in Christ, so I strive to live like Him. That is all that matters to me! Where are the christian attributes of love, joy, peace, goodness, kindness, meekness, faithfulness, patience,and self control? If these same American Christians did not have the so called Immigration and FBI, wouldn't they debate the other person?
To me, Christians should be tolerant people as I look at what the Bible says. When I disagree with people, they do not become my enemies. Unfortunately, many think that someone is their enemy for not thinking like them. That is what is happening in the Middle East. All these things make Christianity very empty and hopeless indeed. Think about it; why are the evangelicals and conservatives in America telling open lies over Foxnews and their Facebook pages? Where is their conscience, and where is their Christianity?
There is a difference with Christianity being hopeless, and Christ being hopeless. If those who say that they are Christians will garnish their Christianity with Christ, there will be hope in Christianity.They will have joy and peace like Christ promised. Christians too will not be doing drugs.I can't reconcile someone who is a racist and  the same person who says she/he is a Christian, or the same woman who has had 3 kids out of wedlock even though she grew her entire life in church. I don't understand when a pastor has a sexual relationship with a member's wife for 8 years; I mean eight long years. If temptation came to sin, he could satisfy his urges with a non married sister,  to say the least.  How do you look at the elder in the eyes and you are sleeping his wife for 8 years?
 When I hear people like Rev Pat Robertson saying that uncompromising wives should be beaten, it makes me wonder if Christians ever think of being culturally relevant. If you go to many churches, lesser numbers of children are in church. No wonder only dotards are there. What will be the future of our churches?  Women are not still free, and the children are not there to take over. I read the other day that half of Christians do drugs. If so called Christians can live on coping mechanism, what do they expect the non Christians to live on? If steel can rust, how much more iron? Isn't Christ there to lift away our burdens? It has come to a point where even Christians are depressed. Depression comes when people want to carry their own burdens. Hasn't Christ asked us to give him our burdens?
If you are in church and you tell a Christian anything, you have just betrayed yourself. A non-Christian will keep your secret even more than a Christian. There is no true communion in churches nowadays with brethren seizing their Brethren's wives and husbands. This is just plain Ichabod! Christian marriages can no more stand! How and why? You seldom find an adult above 30 in church who has not divorced once or twice. Some are even on their 3rd and 4th marriages. What type of Christianity are they living that they cannot live with another person?

I am at a loss for words. For me, Christianity is all about how you treat people. I don’t care if you go to church or not. Before, it would matter, but nowadays, it does not. If you invite a sister in Christ out, she thinks about dating, but you invite a non-Christian out, she goes out and does not even think about that. Whose mind is more messed up there? Have we asked ourselves why although some believers are members of a megachurch, yet they are on dating sites searching for love? That is because there is no connection amongst them. The most ludicrous is that while on those dating sites, most of them become keyboard Romeo and Juliets! It seems to bemuse me why a christian would make fake promises? They know they will not call you back, yet they take your number. Hahahaha.
Christian kids are as bad as non Christian ones because the gospel training does not more start at home. Isn’t the home the first classroom for the child? Isn't that where his or her mores are formed? That should be the beginning of their syneidesis. Hellas, children are left to be nurtured by teachers, TV and the pop culture. No wonder they are so detached from their parents. You can see that because once their parents get old, they take them and dump them in the nursing home without visiting them.
Each time I visit churches, I laugh at the hollering. To me it is empty showmanship. They have like ten pieces of brochures for the Sunday service. Why even go to church if we cannot live like Christians? I want anyone I deal with to trust me, to believe in what I tell them and to know that when I make them a promise, I will keep it. That is how Christianity will give hope to those who believe and those who intend to believe. We must give hope of Christianity by living as Christ did because Christ in us is the hope of the world. 
Until then, Christianity is a religion of Hope. 

St Arrey of Ntenako
Copyright © 
Please do not leave without making a donation to further the work. 

Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). "It is not how well you know a person; it is how well you treat them that they will live longer and happier with you." Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

The Secrets of Leadership.

The secrets of leadership. You know, most people want to be leaders, but very few are really leaders. Leadership is a very simple phen...