Saturday, April 21, 2012

Judith Bushfaller.

 
 “You see that Judith like that, we grew up in the same house. We ate in the same plate. Her mother and my mother were best friends.” A pale voice in a slender body echoed. “Boy, let me tell you if you don’t know. When we were little, we used to go to the farm together.” He continued. It would seem he had a lot in his stomach that he wanted to throw out. After all; don’t our people say that the porcupine has hidden things in its stomach until its entrails have been embittered?  His friend too, a man with similar stature listened as if the priest was ready to make an ablution. Time and again he will interject intermittently a question or a provocative comment. “Obab is that how you were with that girl?” “Do you know the stream that is just behind that coconut bush?” Obab boastfully asked. “We used to go and swim there.” He pointed to a river on his left. “Sometimes we did mami and papa too.” Obab narrated to assert himself. “Massa, you too be don worry oh (boy, you have been the man)?” His friend praised him. “Na small one (is it small). I be di shake shake shake (I have animated the place).” He uttered his braggadocios. "But, na nyango that since wey i don go Etas, i don forget me (But that is the lady, since she went to the United states, she has forgotten me)." Obab lamented. “Boy, you di learn nga dem da so (man, you are only learning women)." His friend amplified the evil nature of women.
Judith went to the US with a Green Card, and she was braiding hair in one salon. Judith did not have a trade, and she did not have a career. How were they expecting her to start sending them money is only God alone who knows. More so, Judith was only one, they who are left at home are many. They can each remember her, but she cannot remember all of them. They should be the ones to contact her and say “Judith please don’t forget me. Instead, they assume that Judith should remember all her friends, relatives and neighbors. Even if she remembered everybody, she could not call everybody. So Judith had to stay in touch with those who stayed in touch and forget those who did not. The pressures of moving to a new place, and the pressures of the family and friends expecting money from her became cumbersome. Judith lived abroad, but her physiognomy was like that of a grandmother in the village.
Then on Tuesday, January 12, 2009 one of her friends called her. “ Allo, allo, allo allo, and Judith answered, “ yes, allo, yes, allo.”  “Na Obab, na Obab” (It is me Obab, it is me Obab). He seemed to be repeating everything as if Judith going overseas is now deaf. “My mami eh Obab, you still dey alive so?” (Oh gosh, Obab, you are still alive).  Judith exclaimed. “Why shouldn’t I? You cannot just go there and forget your own people like that. Even if I was too small like an ant, you should not have forgotten me.” Obab expressed his anger.” “Weh Obab, nice to hear from you again. I am happy for you.” She added. “Judith, you would have heard that I was dead already. I mean since you went to America then everything began falling apart for me. You know my mother passed away. My uncle’s brother who was like his father also died. Oh, did you know that my other sister who was always insulting you like that, she too just died. Then now my mom just passed away.”  “ weh Obaba, you have too much badluck. Weh obab, ashia. I am so sorry.” Judith consoled him. “Judith, that is why I called you. What are we going to do again? Now is not the time to cry; it is a time to mourn. Please, I am the first boy, and I want to make the death celebrations for all these people before you hear that I am mad. If I did not remember that I had a friend like you in America, I should have killed myself.” Obab told Judith.  
“So Judith are you married now?” He asked trying to find out if he could sweettalk Judith into thinking he was interested in her. “I am also still single.” Judith remembered their childhood, adolescent, and teenage days. She thought how Obab used to provide for her and defend her. She has had some men in between but none was like Obab. She said, “Obab, I will send you some money tomorrow.” “Judi, Judi , that is my girl. Hahahahaha” he laughed a loud.  “Judith, I knew that you will never forget me.” Obab sang her flummery. To Judth, one good turn deserves another. It was not that she had forgotten her cronies and relatives; it was just that she could not think of all of them. They needed to reposition themselves into her mind because the worries of the foreign land shortened her memory.

Until then, if someone you know traveled, you should call or write them to stay in touch.

St Arrey of Ntenako.   
“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). "It is not how well you know a person; it is how well you treat them that they will live longer and happier with you." "The world of love is unequal because women reject men all the time and men don't open hell for them, but when a man rejects a woman, immediately she opens hell for him to enter thereafter." Hamilton Ayuk
 Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

Southern Cameroons Should Keep Their Schools Closed For Their Own Good.

I hear talks of schools reopening because children can no more stay home. Is it that all those who were arrested have been released, or is...