Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tales of Eat and Run.

When I was in secondary school, an incident occurred with my mom. My mother was a petty trader who sold bushmeat pepper soup by the road side in Ancienne Gare Routière in Quartier Yabbasi-Douala. She was popularly known as Mami Anna.

There was a man who usually comes and eats and then runs away. When he arrived on that day, my sisters told me to place my eyes on him. I did. I asked him to pay before eating, but he said he would pay after eating. After he ate, he got up to go, and I told my mother. My mother told the other customers. He was detained by the other customers and passersby. Jungle justice at best! A passerby heard about the commotion. He asked my mother what the man did. The people said “he eats from this widow and refuses to pay.” So the passerby paid the money and asked the people to hand the man to him. Immediately as they handed the man to him, he began beating the man until blood was gushing out of his mouth, and nostrils.


My mother had to go and give back the passerby's money, but he refused to take it. My mother threw the money on the floor saying “ for God’s sake, it is not because of food that you will beat this man like this. Don‘t kill this man here and put us into trouble” . The populace was telling my mother “go away woman, he has paid you. Let him deal with him the way he deems fit.” If the police had not come, they would have killed that guy. So people should beware where they eat and run.

Another time was in 1991. I remember in Yaoundé seeing two young girls that we could call “ATM Drainers” or “Coffee Bang Feng” (coffee is ripe here) paraded naked in front of a restaurant because they ate and did not have money to pay. They came with a “Guyman” boyfriend who allowed them to pass their orders. One of them has been making the young man to spend and spend without letting him see the pinhole. He knew that the girl was merely using him up. Each time he invited her out to eat, she will bring her friends.

So he invited them to the restaurant where he allowed them to pass their orders as usual. They ate and drank like people who were leaving town. After some time, the man absconded and left abandoned them there at the restaurant. They were told to wash plates if they did not have money to pay, but they refused. The restaurant owner seized their clothes and sold them to a customer leaving them naked in front of the restaurant. After about two hours, the customer who bought the clothes came and gave them back their clothes. Then he asked them, “Vous allez venir encore manger ici sans payer? Voila leurs feses; espèce des bordelles”. If it was today with electronic cameras, it would have been all over the net.
Until then, beware where you eat and run away.

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk.







“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

Southern Cameroons Should Keep Their Schools Closed For Their Own Good.

I hear talks of schools reopening because children can no more stay home. Is it that all those who were arrested have been released, or is...