Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Train Of Life

I had landed in Vienna and was going to Darmstadt. It was a cold and freezing day. I was not well equipped for the cold that whistled through my ears and penetrated my heart like an invisible dagger. I took a cabin and placed my bag on top of the carriage then took my camera out to look at the greatness of God. How does He make the clouds to blend with the sun? It looks magnanimous and splendid. Who says there is no God I soliloquized. Then I looked at my neighbors some sad and others happy. Some concentrated and others distracted on gadgets. We all had a destination to go. By happenstance, we are in a train that was taking us far and wide. The colors were different, the languages were different and the mannerisms were different too but each entered, each will sit and each will drop when their time comes. Isn’t this how life works I ask myself. Perhaps yes, perhaps not, but certain that we are just on a journey, for I was young yesterday, today I am old and tomorrow I will die. Then my journey on earth will end.


You will always meet people you do not know. They do not need to adapt to you, you have to adapt to them. I had a couple who entered and sat in my carriage. The man put his left hand into his groin under his pant and time and again, he snored and farted in his sleep. When the wife began sleeping, she snored to synchronize their music. When the wife woke up, she looked at me and fell ashamed for her husband. So she will pull his hand off his underwear and then mutter a few words in German that only the two of them knew. The other neighbors watched and quickly removed their eyes. I watched and stared at them as the drama unfolded, snapping the pictures with the camera of my heart. You see, we have different priorities. Mine was watching at the speactacle while others, theirs was intermittenly watching and looking elsewhere. Ah, that is life. If I had to enjoy my trip, i will have to adapt to their farting and snoring after all I fart and snore too. It was just that he was doing it at the wrong time according to me.

If everyone adapted to their nearest neighbor, there will always be peace in homes. Those who do not adapt in the train, keep moving from one carriage to another looking for a better one that they may never find. You will move from one friendship to another, one relationship to another and one marriage to another until you learn how to adapt to other people. Do you know where you are going in this life? What is your objective in life: live 1000/hr?

We are limited to the amount of luggage we carry. Some people think they have come to this earth to live forever. They want to acquire everything on earth in their greed. Listen: you will die and leave all, for you are just a passerby on this earth. You are on a journey my dear!

I saw some people rather than buy a bag that they can pull their luggage, they carry it on their shoulders encumbering themselves. They added to their own problems. When they keep their bags to rest, someone steals them. It reminded me of people who carry their problems on their heads. When you carry your problems on your heads, you will become a bait to evildoers. Why don’t you cast your cares unto Jesus who cares for you? Don’t you hear when He says “come unto me all ye that labor and are heaven laden and I will give you rest”? Even when all your friends and family forsake you, take it to the Lord in prayers, for he will never fail you. Life is truly a journey. Don’t carry your problems on your head, for they make you miserable and vulnerable.

Three hours into the journey, we passed through rough terrain. You hear and feel the bumps on your body, but no one jumps off the train. The road of life will sometimes be rough, but don’t give up. Stay put, for it is just for a moment. It shall be well.

Somewhere I missed my exchange train because I was sleeping. I did not just continue; I stopped and waited 4 hours for the next train. Know when you are on the wrong destination and make a U-Turn. Why are you wasting your time trying to pursue the same wrong train you mistakenly took? Go down, take a rest, and embark on the correct train.

Several times the train stopped because of snow. There was a chain reaction. Many people went to work late and others missed their flights. There are many things in life that will hamper you from having a smooth ride. Your journey may be delayed, but if you stay focused and determined, you will reach your destination.

The sad part was when I met some people with whom we clicked and when their destination came, they dropped off and left me alone as I entered the train. We each entered this world in our own time, and we will leave at different times. When you die, that is the end of the world for you and if you do not, the real end will still come when Jesus comes. One way or the other, you will have the end of the world. However, as you came so shall you leave no matter the friends and relatives you make, and no matter the wealth you have acquired. Life is truly a journey. So when you die, what will be the balance sheet of your time on earth? Will it be a deficit or surplus? How will those who knew you remember you: good or bad person? Would your life have helped or hurt other passengers? Don't forget: you are a passerby on a journey on earth!

Until then, have a safe trip!

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk.


“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk). Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk). Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

Does Al Franken and Tweeden’s photo speak a thousand words?

Does Al Franken and Tweeden’s photo speak a thousand words? Before the advent of photoshop, a photo spoke a thousand words, but in...