Friday, July 24, 2009

Prof Henry Louis Gates’ Jr Arrest: A Taste of the Black Man’s Daily Milk In America.


When I first heard this story methought the officer was merely a victim of the Big Man Syndrome. But as I read it from newspapers and watched the TV it was clear it was a serious racial profiling. Perhaps he thought to himself “Look there goes another black man trying to burglarize a home by passing through the window while his friend stands aloof watching”. Once more the police got it wrong; not every black man is a criminal!

Professor Gates came back from a trip and realized that his key had jammed. So he was trying to force open the door. A police officer was called to the scene and he asked him for identification. He informed him he was in his own house. The officer still rejected the explanation and arrested him. Obama in one of his speeches alluded to it. I am glad Obama is still conscious despite drinking the milk of greatness to acknowledge that “we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact.” This is a fight that every human being on earth should fight; and fight unto death.

If the police officer did not know Mr. Gates what about the testimony of neighbors. The neighbors at least knew him. True, the police officer was merely doing just his job but some good judgment that the address on the ID, the face and bystanding neighbors could be sufficient reason for the police to leave the man alone or issue him a citation for disorderly conduct but not to arrest him.

Last Saturday I asked a friend to drive me to a place to pick up my glasses. As if I knew it I said I don’t like to drive without glasses because one of these bad cops could pull me over and then pin on the absence of my glasses to tow the car.
When we were coming back we took a remote path as I was trying to teach him a raccourci (shortcut) to my house. It was dark and coming to a stop sign he passed it. I told him he just ran a stop sign. He quickly retorted “where is it”. I joked with him that “The police usually hides over there. You are lucky they are not there this night”. Immediately the police came and pulled us over.

We exited the road into a church compound. He asked for his ID and asked the guy if he has been drinking. The guy said he took two bottles of beer. The Police officer asked him to step out of the car. He did. He conducted the sobriety test by asking him to place his left leg in front of his right leg and walk towards him (the officer) when he asked him to do so. My friend did and did it well. The officer then asked him to recite his ABC from G-O the young man did. Then he asked him to blow the breathalyzer and he did and it read 0.6 meanwhile the legal limit in the state of GA is 0.8. Thus the guy passed all those tests. To my greatest surprise the officer arrested the guy for reckless driving, driving under the influence and running a stop sign.

He asked him if I had a license and he told him yes, “he is an experienced driver”. At this time I had picked my glasses. But the officer did not ask me to drive the car or the guy rather he insisted we must call another driver. I did not step out of my car because he would have looked for a reason to accuse me too for obstruction of justice and resisting a police officer. So I just left him alone and made calls for people to come and pick me up and the car. During this time my friend has been arrested and I am guarded by another police officer.

At the station; an hour later, my friend was retested and the reading of the breathalyzer was the same and a receipt was issued to him as he was granted bail. The wife bailed him and he came home.

There are many tales like ours told daily and if allowed to be told those who have a heart will mourn like flies. This is the America we live in that lectures North Korea, Iran and Zimbabwe on freedom. It is high time every American began talking frankly on racial issues and how to cure this gangrene because there is no racial equality in the United States of America. Or perhaps the world should tell America “Doctor don’t cross oceans trying to cure other people; cure yourself first”.

The officer may be a fine officer but racial issues had blurred his good judgment that he forgot that once someone has been ID as living in a home, he cannot be arrested for breaking into his own home.

Nonetheless, I do not think there should be any disciplinary action against Sgt James Crowley or for him to be forced to apologize. If he thinks he overreacted and it is bad let his conscience counsel him on what action to take. Forgiveness always brings true remorse than lex talionis (an eye for an eye).

Until then, do unto others what you want them do unto you.

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk.
“Bonyfish beware because the same net that caught the jawless fish, caught the cartilaginous fish” (Hamilton Ayuk).
Beware earthly paradise seekers because there is a serpent in every paradise"(Hamilton Ayuk).

Idle people write, idler people read, and idlest people read and whine that idle people are taking their time (Hamilton Ayuk).

"Do you have family here?"

People always ask me each time I meet a new person, “Do you have family here?” Sometimes, when I meet a white person, he or she always...