Wednesday, December 31, 2008

“Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Pastors”


I borrowed this title from the youtube video above. This message seems paradoxical but again that is because the majority has failed to reconcile their services at home and the one to the public. A pastor's family is his first church and the public church second. He should make a schedule where his wife has one copy and follows it. It is so sad to see the high rate of divorce amongst pastors and missionaries. So if they cannot even keep their own homes why should they pretend to take care of the flock of God?

The church too has contributed to this situation. Christians who are always dwarfs; never growing; always calling the pastor for every little thing.

I remember a lady who told us that a wizard was crying on her roof. I asked her to pray and take control over it but she came back that she has done so. I sent her back again and she told us the wizard keeps crying and frightening them from sleeping. I asked her to gather her family and pray. But even at midnight she will send the child to come and tell me that the witch or wizard was still crying. I asked her if while someone is there the cries persisted. She said: yes. I told her when next you hear the demon crying call me and I will run there.

One night again she sent her little girl and I went there only to find out that it was an owl. Owls are considered witches or wizards in most places in Africa. I went there, took a stone, prayed, and shot at the direction of the owl. It went and never came back.

If I did not go there I will be a very bad pastor who does not care at all. But all she needed to do was to shoot at the owl. I will be a terrible man who is there for himself and not for the people of God. Men of God fearing that stigma try to please the Christians and forget their families who are Christians too. Doesn’t the Bible say love your neighbor as yourself? It means you should first love yourself before your neighbor. If you cannot love yourself how can you love people outside?

The pastor is praying with other people outside but he does not pray with his family at home. Do you wonder why he has those many problems at home? Do you wonder why pastors’ wives like Mary Winkler shoot and kill their sleeping pastor husband on the back?

Here is the philosophy I have adopted; if the people who live with me or interact with me daily cannot say I am a Christian then probably I am not. I know the prophet is never great in his home town but those living with you must know that you are a Christian because those Christian fruits will never hide.

Pastors must rise to the occasion. Some of the worst; and very worst kids I have seen in churches are the kids of pastors. Doesn’t the bible say: “train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it (Prov 22:6)? So why should the child of the pastor even commit suicide while his father is teaching people on how to have life in abundance. No one commits suicide because they are happy with life.

Indeed pastors are not perfect beings but they have taken upon themselves to live a life of probity and decorum. They have declared themselves the moral compasses of the society. In other words, they are saying: be my imitators as I am the imitator of Christ. They will have detractors for even angels have haters. But when the sheep are separated from the goats they can stand as true shepherds. Every Christian should be able to emulate the life of Christ through that of their pastor. But if the pastor does not even have time to go to the park and play with the family; leaves her waiting and whining after church services that he is attending to the Christians and abandons the kids for the Christians to raise them up then there is a total disconnect from the responsibility of the pastor. In the scenario I will say: “Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Pastors”.

Until then, I wish all the laborers of Christ a wonderful 2009.

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk.


If relationship was only sex then Hollywood would be in a better predicament but unfortunately, if love was shoes, then Hollywood would charter all sizes.

My Little Immanuel Church!

Did you see my little Immanuel Church? That sat on top of reformed theology. It was not just the doctrine they taught; It wa...