Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Is the money we send back home (either to family or friends) tithing?

This question is a bit trickish but I will make an attempt. To a lesser extent it is not if we do not give as unto God. If we give to show off or for our personal developments like for your parents to build you a house.
To a greater extent it is when we consider the spirit of giving. If tithing is considered having the strength of creation ordinance then it cannot be considered Law. If it cannot be considered law then the spirit behind the gift prevails. That means; if giving tithes was not a moral law but a ceremonial law then it does not transcend cultures. If it is a moral law inscribed in the Ten Commandments then it should be honored by all generations. Looking at scripture again closely tithing is not a moral law and so does not surpass cultures. What transcends cultures is then the concept of cheerful giving.
That means it would be less Christian for you to leave a single mother trying to pay her bills to go and give the money to the church. The Bible questions our love for God we do not see if we do not love Man whom we see. It is sanctimonious for you to leave your relatives and neighbors in need just to give money to the church especially when the bulk of the money is being misused. Ministers are now richer then than Christians. I do not see anywhere in the Bible that the ministers should be very rich. They were to disengage themselves from the things of the world.
My former Bishop came one Saturday with the pretext to visit us. Our household gave the little church of 35 people $1000 each month. When he was leaving he told me that if I had the tithes for tomorrow I should just give him than bother myself to bring it to church. I told him I did not have cash and the rest of the people were not home. He told me there was an ATM around. So we drove there, I took money, and gave him. He then asked for the other guy who was nearby. I told him he was in the library doing some research. He followed the guy and asked for the money. Two days after, a member of our church came to me that the pastor entered into her apartments and dropped Victoria Secret lingerie. When I confronted the Bishop he told me the girl is beautiful but does not know how to dress so he wanted to teach her how to dress.
To solve this problem I told him I would not stop the other guys from giving because they do what they like but I will no more give all my tithes here. I began sending part home to pay tuition for kids who do not have, shared bread from Publix every Tuesday and Friday, and took fatherless kids from my neighborhood to places.
On the contrary a friend boasted to me that she had given thirty-one dollars ($31,000) out of her $200,000 as her tithes and offerings to Dr Dollar. Ironically her mother is living in Section 8 houses. Let me repeat again what James said:
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone (James 2:14-17).
However, the bottom line is that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Some people are so needy and wretched because of selfishness. I want to challenge you all to sponsor each year in addition to relatives, a child you have never known rather than take all your money to church.

Until then, I hope I have tried to answer your question.

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk.

Does Al Franken and Tweeden’s photo speak a thousand words?

Does Al Franken and Tweeden’s photo speak a thousand words? Before the advent of photoshop, a photo spoke a thousand words, but in...