Sunday, September 2, 2007

I am fearfully and wonderfully made




I am fearfully and wonderfully made

Factually and experientially, people who invoke this verse regularly are generally the ones who are not happy with their physiognomy. Those who believe they are fearfully and wonderfully made want people to see what they look like, even though that passage has little or nothing to do with the way we look out there. They even ask you if you want to see their pictures. Those with this complex of poor image start with, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made,” though they are referring to their physiognomy. Sometimes too the reality is different. Each time you come to dressing and make up, a lady will tell you that she is fearful and wonderfully made. Perhaps, you see someone with some physical ailment, and they tell you that God made them like that. That means, at first God gave them legs, then later he decided to break one. They quickly support their arguments with Psalm 139:14. So I am going to treat four of those verses to see what they really mean.

Ps 139: 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
Definition of Phrases
Possessed create my reins kidneys:
Mother’s mother womb belly
Fearfully made in awe
Wonderfully divided
Made brought to life
Substance body; unformed mass.
My members organs
Fashioned to mold
Dynamic translation:

God created my kidneys right in my mother’s belly. He made me in a way I cannot understand. He divided me when he was bringing me out to life, and my body and my unformed mass then became my organs, for He molded me.

Conception takes place in the womb, when a sperm fertilizes an egg. So all started to live when one sperm fertilized an egg, and then it began to develop into various divisions and finally you came out. In Gen 2:7, the breath of life is what belongs to God, and that is what God will take. Yet the body as mentioned in I Cor 6:13-20 means the agglomeration of the body, spirit and soul: the life in it. That is what the psalmist does not understand. That is what he is praising God for. When we think that just a sperm and an egg met for us to have this composition of the organs, then we have the right to say we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Let’s quickly looking at some organs.

The ear has a keyboard with 1500 keys very finely tuned. The outside of the ear can catch up to 20,000 acoustic vibrations per second per second. It has a useful sensitivity range of 20,000,000 to 1
The eyes functions like the camera: lens cover/ cornea, Aperture of Camera/ iris and pupil, Lens of camera/ lens, film/ retina.

The heart: an adult heart pumps about 1,500-2,000 gallons of blood daily. It has the same size as my fist but pumps blood 4320 times an hour. In one year that would mean nearly 40 million beats. A drop of blood can make a round trip in your circulatory system in only 22 seconds. The heart beats 200 times per minute with extreme exercise.

The feet contain 52 bones that is 26 per feet. None of which is wider than your thumb. It is composed of ligaments, tendons and muscles.

The hands contain 54 bones. That is 27 per hand composed of the wrist, palm, and five fingers.
So feeling this, he is wonderfully and fearfully made. The word made is closest to the word conceive or conception; the idea of making life possible. Hitherto, man develops to what he or she wants to be. Thenceforth, your body will dance according to the beatings of your drum. If you drum fat, it will dance fat, and if you drum obesity, it will dance obesity.

This passage is not talking about the physical appearance. How you come out of your mother’s womb is no more what the passage is talking about. Think about it, when you gain weight, you say you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Then why are you fighting to lose weight? More so, why would God make anyone overweight or underweight knowing well that both conditions do not give him glory? Our physical transformation is our responsibility. Think about it again, when you have both legs, you say I am fearfully and wonderfully made, and when you break one leg, are you still fearfully and wonderfully made? So did God break one of your legs, and is the work of God now imperfect?However, the idea of having one leg or being maim is not what God has done.

That is why we grow and develop, know in part (I Cor. 13:8), or we are still babes (2 Pet 2:2). When we are born and become children, we have certain characteristics; a better skin than adults (2 Kings 5:14), they have childish works (Prov 20:11) thy are docile and foolish (Prov 22:6, 15) need correction (Prov 23:13). That means we develop. The physical development of man depends on man.

If you later become overweight or underweight, its not the way God created you. I mean, if you are not happy with the way you look, you do something about it. We should not forget that physiognomy, though not important to God is very important to man (I Sam 16:7). If the phrase fearfully and wonderfully made had to do with the person outside, then why are we developing when we are already complete? We would not have to develop because we are already complete.
Therefore, every human being is wonderfully and fearfully made because it is the work of life that is fearfully and wonderfully made; that miracle of conception. As such, we should have respect for every human being on earth no matter the status because they are wonderfully and fearfully made.

Prince & PA Hamilton Ayuk

My Little Immanuel Church!

Did you see my little Immanuel Church? That sat on top of reformed theology. It was not just the doctrine they taught; It wa...